Jan 19, 2009

Traveller’s Guide: International Phone Calls

Scribbled by Perky |

When I left for my Australian trip in December, one thing that had "magically" slipped out of my mind was how expensive international roaming could be. Well, granted, that my mind was occupied with trying to not forget my passport.

But still, I thought it was good enough that my mobile phone could make calls when I’m overseas. Hah! Wait ‘til the bill comes, and you’ll be crying your eyes out.

So I learned a pretty expensive lesson, considering that I was making phone calls to McChef who was in Malaysia while I was basking away under the Australian sun.



Oh if only I had known how much I'd be saving with a calling card instead of depending on my international roaming service


So guys, if you’re going to be traveling or working overseas in the future, remember to bring along a calling card so you can keep in touch with people back home.




Let's say, you’re in Malaysia and you happen to be seeing someone from US and trying out that whole long distance relationship thing, having a calling card will definitely help reduce the stress in your relationship. Just check out how cheap it is for him/her to call you from the US. Now you guys can talk for hours and hours and not burn a big hole in your wallet ;)

If you've enjoyed this post, please subscribe to my blog.

7 Your say:

JD Cole said...

i'll definitely buy that card if i'm travelling~

nice info btw ;)

Twilight Man said...

What call card? I normally buy their pre paid cards from there or carry a walkie talkie when shopping in BKK's jatujak market or getting lost inside Orchard Road. That way is even cheaper to locate our troop of monkeys.

Anonymous said...

You learned the voip cards recently? People are using them for almost 5 years for long distance international calls. It is oki when u call your loved ones with that card and not a hole in the wallet but when it comes to calling some girls, they just don't like to see diffrent numbers calling her eachtime and they say don't call here :)) a russian girl stopped talking me after i used voip cards. I don t talk to her more than 3 months

Unknown said...

oh! this totally slipped my mind too when I was telling you about Oz! sorry!

but yes- skype is the best option really (i.e. use the internet to make calls instead) :)

have fun!

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

I'm too poor to go for holidays overseas, so it's a moot point for me ... hehehe ...

Perky said...

JD Cole:
Yeah, remember to get the card if you don't want to spend a fortune on roaming :)


Twilight Zone:
Hahaha. Monkeys can understand you meh? ;)


Cheeky Picky:
Well, I've been living under a rock for the past 5 years, which would explain why I haven't heard of them b4 ;)

She's stopped talking to you? Really? Could it be bcoz of your broken English? ;)


Lyana:
Hehehe... that's ok. The things to do in Oz was more important than a call card ;)

Yeah but skype isn't practical if you don't "carry" your internet with you though.


Nick Phillips:
Oh come on. I don't believe you. I bet you're saving up for a grand holiday overseas... like the Bahamas where there's plenty of bikinis ;) hehehe!

apples said...

When I was in Uganda it cost my parents $6 a minute to call me, so... yeah...