Aug 5, 2005

My Sister... The Most Abused Person In My World

Scribbled by Perky |

Jules, as many call her, was born in '84. When she came into the world, I hated her. I hated her so much that when my parents brought her home I insisted that they throw her into the garbage bin. Hey, I was only 3 years old and yes, very much a brat. But all is cool when she learned to talk and I could play (or more like conduct experiments) with her. She was my subordinate, my follower. She would do things I tell her to do. It was so easy back then because she didn't have a mind of her own.

I remember this incident when we were living in Manchester. I had just learned how to climb the stairs (more like crawling on the stairs). Jules could barely walk back then. But I was so excited about learning this new skill and I wanted to teach her too. We were on all fours, climbing those stairs. We were so happy when we got to the top. Kinda like Leonardo screaming "I'm the king of the world" in Titanic sort of feeling. We both sat there, proud of our achievement. Then it suddenly hit me. How are we gonna go down? I could tell that Jules was worried too (she didn't talk much back then. But I knew what was on her mind. Maybe that's why we're so close. Maybe that's way we always say the same things at the same time). I told her that we should go down with our butts first. I figured that it was more scary to go down head first. Mind you, we were on all fours. The plan went well til... Til shit happened. Next thing I knew I was seeing the stairs, the ceiling, the floor, the wall, and this was happening over and over again. What was worst was that I saw Jules doing the exact same thing as I was doing. I was really scared. Then it all stopped. And the crying started. And I remember our parents coming over to pick us up. They still remember this incident and my dad calls it "The day I saw two big diapers tumbling down the stairs".

Until this very day, I don't know how Jules survived living with me. I'm just gonna mention a few of the things that she has to put up with:

I Can't Help Myself: I get excited really fast. Well actually I can't contain my excitement at all. Every time I get excited while watching TV I would scream and shout at the TV. Poor TV. It didn't do anything wrong and yet it gets cursed at. On top of that, I'd be jumping and running all over the apartment. But can you really blame me for being really into the movie? I don't think any of my friends have seen me do this, except when I play the PS. Hmm... I take that back. You guys have seen me crazy excited.

Horror Killer: I hate horror movies. I despise them. But that doesn't mean I don't watch them. I watch them simply because I'm curious about the storyline. Jules likes these horror movies. She's sick. Really. She's fascinated by ghosts and how gross they look. I would close my eyes for 1/3 of the movie. Then I would ask her what had happened. You can see how annoying this can be, right? Imagine trying to enjoy a movie and a person keeps bugging you to tell them what happened. But things are different now. I've learned to appreciate the mute button on the remote control. Now I get to watch what happens in them scary scenes - minus the scary sound. That always pisses her off. It's no fun when you don't have the scary sound (hmmph... right).

You're Thinking Too Loud: Like I said, we tend to say the exact same thing at the same time. Sometimes it's really annoying coz if it's a great idea, neither can claim it as theirs (but let me get this straight. All great ideas came from me.) What's even more annoying is that I could almost hear her mind speak. I'm pretty sure this goes both ways.

Let the Dictionary Speak: When I don't know what a word means, I would ask Jules. Usually, when she's nice, she'd tell me. But most of the time, she's not that nice. That time she would tell me to look it up in the dictionary. I mean, why would I bother looking it up in the dictionary when I could actually ask a 'talking dictionary'? I could save a lot of time just by asking. So I'd bug her til she tells me. I have no problems repeating the same questions, but I know it annoys her like hell to be pounded by the same question. And it's not just for one day. Sometimes I'd ask her again a few days later. Yeah my brain can't store tedious information. Her favourite phrase with me is "Stop abusing my mind". But if I didn't bug her, then we won't have anything to talk about.

I Can't Hear You!: My mind tends to wander off a lot. Just coz I look like I'm listening, doesn't mean I'm actually listening. I know how much it frustrates her when she knows I haven't heard a single damn thing she said. She'd go,"I'd rather speak to a wall". Then I'd just have to annoy her some more by answering,"Yeah, I've done that. It's fascinating how your voice bounces off the wall". Couldn't help it.

Short Attention Span: I have short attention span. When I get distracted (which happens almost all the time), I tend to forget what I was talking about (I'm sure you've noticed this trend in my previous posts... or when you're actually speaking to me in real life). I could be talking about the series Lost, for instance, and something distracts me. There'll be that silent moment for a while. After that, I'd be talking about something else. And she'd go,"And then what? You didn't finish your story!" It's amazing how she could keep up with our conversations.

I just don't know how she puts up with me. I'm sure if she had a choice, she'd move out or worst, kick me out. Nah, she can't kick me out. I'm paying for the damn apartment. But if it was me in her shoes, I'd probably turn out to be a psycho killer. I can imagine standing for trial and the proscecutor asks me,"What drove you to kill?" I would answer,"It's my sister. She drove me nuts. That lady dressed like her. So I killed her. That man laughed like her. So I killed him." But then again, it's still too early to tell. I'd give her another 20 more years before she starts her killing spree.

If you've enjoyed this post, please subscribe to my blog.

7 Your say:

Jay said...

Wow, I think we are a lot alike!

Perky said...

Lol! Thank God I'm not alone in this. Hahaha..

Anonymous said...

Very nice blog site!! Lots of info, bookmarked it.

I have a 3 Blade Ceiling Fan site/blog. It pretty much covers 3 Blade Ceiling Fan related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time.

Anonymous said...

Awww! that's so sweet! Did Jules cry when she read it? hehe...a perfect example oof sisterly love. Can masuk Chicken Soup! :=P

NoMandLand said...

updates? :)

my blog address
http://sbhatta1978.blogspot.com

apples said...

I've been around since 84 and I was 3 when my brother was born. Our parents say the first thing I did when I got to the hospital was to go over and give him a kiss (I have denied that to this day).

It was always just the two of us, then our sister was born when we were 9 and 6. She's always been something extra in a way - she just came out of nowhere...

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info
» »