Sep 30, 2009

Confessions of a Bookaholic

Scribbled by Perky |

Here's a confession for you: I love books. New books especially. Which is strange because I don't particularly like to read them.

Unless of course, if it were the Twilight saga. Which btw, I'm proud to say that I bought all 4 books AND finished reading every one of them within weeks. Hah! Take that, Harry Potter!

My weak spot? The Borders bookstore.

I simply cannot step into Borders and not buy anything. Just breathing in the air in Borders can do wonders for my soul.

It almost feels like aromatherapy.

These are some of the books I bought over the past 2 months:



The Cinderella Effect by Miriam Morrison and Oscar Wilde and the Ring of Death by Gyles Brandreth was one of those mindless purchases. I had simply waltz into Borders, bored and was simply itching to buy something.

I had attempted to read The Cinderella Effect, but it was so boring that I didn't even finish reading the first chapter.

Do Ants Have Arseholes? is a pretty good book. It's funny. It's entertaining.

And yes, you guessed it, I didn't finish reading this book.

Why?

Because I had bought Cesar Millan's Be The Pack Leader book... which is like the bible for raising good dogs. Cesar is amazing and it's too bad that Nat Geo doesn't air his shows here in Malaysia. If you're a dog lover, you should definitely read his books or watch his shows.

As you all know, I'm big on vampires. Since I started downloading The Vampire Diaries series, I was curious about the book. So I bought L J Smith's famous book today.

Wait a minute. Wasn't there a Miley Cyrus book somewhere in those pile of books???

Ahuh.




Hey, don't judge me.

Don't you think it's odd that an almost 30 yr old lady would buy a book written by a teenager???

Erm, she is the biggest teen star in the world right now, isn't she?

I was curious as to why the world was so obsessed with Miley Cyrus. Why is she so successful? So I bought her autobiography to try to understand her mind better.

And after reading the first chapter, I slammed the book onto the floor, cussing at myself for being such an idiot.

Damn you, Borders! You make me buy things I don't even need read.

If you've enjoyed this post, please subscribe to my blog.

16 Your say:

A Common Singaporean said...

HAHAHA!

I love Borders too.

I do end up buying crap in there as well. Bought a book call Star Book by Ben Okri sometime back, it was crap to me.

Borders just have the atmosphere to make you feel like every damn book is a good read.

I love Audrey Nuffenger, Neil Gaiman, and history stuff.

Samantha said...

go return it! of wait, you can't return stuff in Malaysia huh? lol

I'm evil!

Legolas said...

Miley Cyrus? Miley Cyrus?! Miley Cyrus?!?!?!?!

Seriously I have no idea what is all the fuss about her.

Twilight Man said...

Do Ants Have Arseholes? OMG I had a good laugh by just reading its title! I will get the book to read. You and Michi can hold hands into the Borders.

manglish said...

hello perky, my name is manglish and i am a bookaholic too....hhhahha...i have recently bought about 200RM worth of books and carried them all the way to japan.....i am like you, i cannot go into a book shop without buying another, the feel and smell of new books just get me high...and i am very literally, i can read the whole Vogue from cover to cover hahaha....i like Borders too but i dont think it can ever beat Kinokuniya and MPH in midvalley is the number 2 spot i go for book shopping....and i used to read books half way which is currently improving..hahaha :)

savante said...

You bought the Miley autobio! :) So gonna tease you about it for months! How thin was that book!

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

I haven't been to Borders in ages and yes, I'd end up buying stuff there too if I went there! LOL!

And urmmm, do ants really have arseholes? LOL!

Gratitude said...

I thought this post wuz gonna be "Confessions of a Mafia Warlord!" instead lolz

Yah, I do have an arsehole! *doin da contortionist act* :p lolz

I love Borders too. Hv been killin' two birds with one stone, and saving too coz I hangout at The Curve Borders, satisfy my craving for a great Starbie cuppa and read a book for free at the same time. :)
+Ant+

foongpc said...

I like Borders too but I don't like that they don't wrap up the books! So some of the books get soiled and torn because too many people manhandled them!

So what I normally do is I read the books at Borders and buy them at MPH (if I can find at MPH)! Haha! I hope Border reads this and take some action to wrap up their books. Well, not all the books - at least leave one or two copies of each title for readers to browse!

foongpc said...

I am not obsessed with Milye Cyrus although I love her latest song, Party In The USA!

I am more obsessed with Mariah Carey! LOL! Quick! Help me vote her to No.1 on MIX FM. Thanks!! : )

Ron Jerem Lee said...

Do Ants Have Arseholes !!!!! i want to go buy !!! MPH? sounds like about office politics.

lyana said...

mmmm borders...my downfall too! and secondhand bookstores! :S

:)

Katana said...

Yeesh, it was that bad huh?

Gratitude said...

Wakey, wakey
Else, this blog'll turn stinky! hehe

apples said...

I do exactly the same thing - but I mostly do it at Good Will; I love to go treasure hunting.

Or I buy books everyone has heard of and "everyone" has read. And I should too... I just never get around to it.

Which is weird really, I have nothing but time at the moment. Too lazy to read? Is it possible??

Perky said...

Apples:
Yeah it's totally possible coz I do it all the time! lol. I've got so many new books that I haven't read (& most likely will not read).