Jun 27, 2009

Michael Jackson's Really Gone

Scribbled by Perky |

When it comes to icons and legends, I kinda wish that they'd live on forever. I remember when Freddie Mercury passed away years ago, I asked God, "Why can't You just leave him with us for a little bit longer? Afterall, you do have eternity to hang out with the guy."

Then when news of MJ's death broke out, I found myself asking God that same question again. Suffice to say, I was broken hearted.

"He can't be dead. I've been looking forward to seeing him make a comeback!"

As it finally sank in, I broke down and cried. I can't believe he's really gone.

To comfort myself, I bought a tub of Ben & Jerry's, sat in front of the TV to watch MTV and Channel [V] pay tribute to the King of Pop, and ate the whole thing on my own.

A whole friggin tub, man. Who the hell eats a whole friggin tub of ice cream on her own??


In memory of MJ, here's my Top 8 list of what I will remember most about him:

1. He was tremendously talented.
He was 5 years old when he first stepped out with The Jackson 5. FIVE YEARS OLD, man. Remember what you were doing at that age? I was still learning my ABC's (and failing miserably at that, too) and was still wearing diapers. MJ was already singing and dancing on stage.


2. He was the coolest thing that came out of the 80's.
How can you not agree?


3. He revolutionized music videos.
Be it Thriller or Smooth Criminal, MJ's music videos was really in a class of its own (be it the most expensive or most mind-blowing). And he did it without having girls prancing around in skimpy outfits and showing their ass and tits on video.


4. The Moonwalk.
The Moonwalk, which was his signature move, and his dancing style was unlike any other. Many have tried to imitate MJ, be it Justin Timberlake, Usher or Chris Brown, and they all don't even come close to the Gloved One. And hey, he was and still is the only person who can get away with that crotch-grabbing move.


5. He broke down racial barriers.
Rev. Al Sharpton, a friend of MJ, said it perfectly: "Way before Tiger Woods, way before Oprah Winfrey, way before Barack Obama, Michael did with music what they later did in sports and in politics and in television."


6. People worshipped him as if he was Jesus.
I used to catch his concerts on tv and I remember looking at the crowd that attended his concerts. My God, he could form his own country with the number of people he attracted in just one concert alone. Girls fainted. Girls cried. And so did the men! They even dressed like him (okay, I'm kinda guilty on this one too. I used to put white tape on my fingers, and wore the black arm band just like MJ did).


7. He wanted to make the world a better place.
Man in the Mirror, an emotionally-charged song with a great message is one of my fav songs - if you wanna make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make a change. MJ was also known for his charity work. As much money he was making at the peak of his fame, he was also giving away just as much to help the needy.


8. He's Michael Jackson; the music genius, the great entertainer, the guy who made music that will live on even after you and I are long dead. And that's how we all should remember him.

If you've enjoyed this post, please subscribe to my blog.

15 Your say:

Jenny said...

Is it really that big a deal? Just another dead celeb to me, honestly.

Just stopping by from another website to check out your blog. It's very good and I'll be bookmarking it for updates :) Have a great weekend.

Twilight Man said...

My deepest condolence to you and me. Whatever 8 things you mentioned about MJ are all indeed true but most shocking news after MJ's death is you gulped down the whole tub!!!!! OMG that's news!... LOL

.:: Ant ::. said...

For once I appreciated TV8 for airing the MJ's concert and MTVs on Sat nite. Never did get tired of watching those MTVs even after hvg watched them numerous times all these years. Even a friend of mine (who hasnt seen many of the MTVs, SHOCKING kan!)wuz thrilled to see his performance mastery.

Like you Perky, I'll miss him too. But it'll be good to be able to just watch youtube whenever I feel like watching an MJ moonwalk! ^_^

+Ant+

Medie007 said...

Gotta agree with the fans worshiping him like Jesus. Gosh! Men crying just like how the little girls did!

Unknown said...

nicely put, dear. :)

Perky said...

Jenny:
For what he has accomplished even b4 he was 25 yrs old, he was already in the same class as Elvis; selling millions & millions of records, coming up w ground breaking music videos n touching millions of lives around the globe .

So no, he's not just another celeb.


Twilight Zone:
Lol. That's my comfort food when I feel devastated ;)


Anton:
Yes, thank god for Youtube! It's the best thing to come since the internet :)


Medie007:
That just goes to show that MJ transcends race and gender :)


Lyana:
Thanks girl! :)

onyxx said...

i am about to post something about MJ when i saw your post. yes, i guess MJ has been a huge part of the music scene. his talent was undeniable.

A Common Singaporean said...

Point no.5 is so very true. I agree totally.

I feel sad particulary because he was suppose to make a comeback. This to me is unfair.

Perhaps the only consolation we can all get is he will be termed a lengend, in the league of Elvis and the lot.

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Well said, Perky.

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

And if he did form his own country, I would gladly follow him.

Ron Jerem Lee said...

poor chap. rise like rocket, drop like stone.

Reszurrecdito M. d'Saintner said...

This is nicely written about him. Seriously, when I read about his death, I was shocked. I did not believe it until I watched the Japanese news. It was a sad day, indeed.

Perky said...

Onyxx:
Yeap. It is the talent that we all should be celebrating :)


A Common Singaporean:
I can definitely relate to that. I was so rooting for him to make a comeback. It would've been a real treat for the fans.

It is us, the ones who got left behind, that I feel sorry for because we will never get that chance to see a genius do what he does best.


Nick Phillips:
Yeah, I'd follow him too! :)


Ron Jerem Lee:
Everyone drops like stone in the end...


Mannpriedo d'Saintner:
A part of me is wishing that this is all a hoax; that MJ is alive somewhere & is hiding from the world. hehehe...

Unknown said...

well said =) i think what many people do not know is how great a person he is. there's just no other.

and to Jenny, he is NOt just another dead celebrity. shame u have to thin it that way tho.

floreta said...

i like reading everyone's tributes :)