Mar 3, 2009

I Want a Baby

Scribbled by Perky |

Here's something I can no longer deny: I want a baby. No, seriously, I want a baby. Not right now. But soon, say within the next couple of years... preferably before I hit the big 3-0.

It's not the ticking of my biological clock that I'm hearing. I think it's more of a maternal instinct that's been plaguing my mind. You see, I don't mind if my first child doesn't share my genetic makeup. At this point, I'm more keen on adopting a child (and that's not coz Brangelina made it uber cool to adopt kids). I feel like I'm ready for motherhood.

There's something very noble about adopting a child. It takes people who are so unselfish to want to love and care for a child who isn't biologically theirs. I salute you, Brangelina.


By adopting, I don't have to go through the pregnancy process. Yeah yeah, everyone especially my girlfriends say I need to go through this at least once in my life. I'm not saying that I never ever want to get pregnant. I'm just saying I don't want to get pregnant right now.

Currently, I view pregnancy as a constant state of worry. I'll worry about the growth of the fetus, I'll worry about getting stretch marks, I'll worry about having to sit in a car and having to wear a seat belt over my bulging tummy, I'll worry about bumping into things/people with my pregnant belly, I'll worry about having to constantly pee. And when the time comes to deliver the baby, I know I'll be freaking out on having to push a life out from between my legs. I can even imagine myself during labor and screaming at McChef, "I'll pay you $1,000 if you could take over my place right now!!!" So yes, pregnancy scares the shit out of me.

Adoption means I can skip all that and jump straight into diaper duty and spoiling my kid rotten. I really do want motherhood... but minus the pregnancy part.

If you've enjoyed this post, please subscribe to my blog.

19 Your say:

Twilight Man said...

Hey lady my sis booked the baby of a young pretty fair college student after her divorce. Later she got a pretty Indian mixed child instead coz didn't know who was the father. Now re-married to a European, the trio make heads turn everywhere from KL to Sydney and London. They make a very happy family indeed cos love is really blind sometimes. I am happy that you can be so open minded too.

Sam said...

I think 1000 wouldn't be enough for him to change places with you. :P But that's just me trying to imagine the pain of childbirth.

I think motherhood is a wonderful thing and with you finally coming into that stage of wanting a child - a kind of maturity that will help develop and prepare you further to receiving that beauty. :) Even awwww doesn't describe what I think is probably the most important decision any woman has to make about bringing life into this world, born out of love. :)

I am so happy for you to have come to this decision here in your life!!! Awwwwwwwwww......!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, but pregnancy is exciting, ask the mothers....

Anonymous said...

We all do at some point in our lives... :-)

Samantha said...

ahhh I feel you...the stretch marks and growing belly kinda puts me off but I do like the idea of spoiling my kids and make them snacks, watch their games and all those mother-children things...

Let's adopt!

Perky said...

Twilight Zone:
Even I myself was quite surprised at how open I was to the idea of adopting. I'd like to be able to give an orphan or an abandoned child a chance of being part of a family :)


Sam:
Ask me a few years ago if I ever want a child or even consider adopting, I'd say hell no. lol!

But I think I've come to a point in life where there's a need to have something more meaningful.

Oh, well, regardless of whether I'm going to have my own child or adopting, I believe I'm ready for motherhood ;)


Sheng:
Lol! Yeah, I know. I've got my gfs urging me to get pregnant just so I can experience it for myself.


Gallivanter:
We're getting old, man!

Perky said...

Samantha:
Hehehe... yeah. Let's just skip the getting pregnant part and jump straight into being mothers! ;)

savante said...

Hey, I want one too. Let's share a couple!

Ron Jerem Lee said...

you know u be old enough to be mom when
1. chinse new year kids call u "aunty"
2. your tits start to sag... almost reaching belly button

Unknown said...

oh honey, I think you're brave to even consider this! Being a mother is such a BIG responsibility etc etc. I think I will not ever be ready for it!

Having said all that- I've seen many of my friends going through motherhood and they're HAPPY. So I guess, perhaps it's just my immaturity that's making me feel the way I am now. :P So yes, if you're ready- I say go for it and cherish and enjoy the experience!

:)

KA said...

I agree with adoption, I'd rather do that rather than having my kids

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

Anonymous said...

actually, there's something very special about feeling that tiny life inside of you grow day by day... feeling the first movement, almost like the stirring of the tiniest butterfly... then all those knees and elbows moving around constantly. despite all the inconvenience (stretch marks, frequent toilet trips, etc), i miss that part of pregnancy the most!

Fable Frog said...

adopt or biological~ i think you will be one of those SUPER COOL moms~ :P

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

When they wake up screaming their lungs out at 4.00am in the morning, you'd probably be wishing otherwise ... LOL!

A Common Singaporean said...

I wouldn't trade places with my wife. Prenancy is tough. But according to most women, its the most enjoyable time of their lives. But I still wouldn't do it. I cannot imagine myself peeing 108th times under 10 minutes..

A Common Singaporean said...

And congrats for making the milestone decision of having a child, prenancy or adoption, either. Whichever, life with kids around is such a joy :)

Perky said...

Savante:
Share? Sure! You can do the diaper duty while I be in charge of the feeding ;)


Ron Jerem Lee:
Are you saying that to be a mom, one has to have sagging tits? So was your mom's tits sagging too when she decided to have you? >;P


Lyana:
Oh don't worry, girl. Give it another couple more years and you'll be feeling the maternal instinct kicking in ;)


Tough Girl 101:
Adoption just seems so much easier than having to carry the fetus for 9 months! lol!


Sleepless in KL:
Yeah I know, pregnancy is special because of the bond formed between mom and baby. I do want to experience that but right now I can't get past the idea of getting stretch marks! lol!


File:
Hey m*thrf*cker, don't spam my comments.


Fable Frog:
Awww... that's so sweet of you! :D


Nick Phillips:
Lol! That's ok. I hardly get any sleep anyway ;)


Keyword:
Hey no spamming!


A Common Singaporean:
Hahaha! You men get it so easy :P

I can't wait to experience motherhood. I haven't gotten the courage to share this idea with my partner though... but I can pretty much guess what he's going to say (he wants his own biological kid). So we can expect some disagreement on this ;)

A Common Singaporean said...

All the bloggers here will be looking forward to some good news ;)