Feb 16, 2009

I Didn't Get the Cranky Memo

Scribbled by Perky |

It is a universal rule that Monday is the suckiest day of the week. It is the day that tells you the weekend is over. It is the day that forces you to get out of bed and earn a living. It is the day that reminds you why you're required to punch in at ungodly hours in the morning, and why it sucks to not be the boss. It is also the day that depends heavily on your caffeine intake in order for you to function properly. So yes, it's understandable that everybody is grumpy on Monday.

However, on very rare occasions, I do feel happy that it's Monday. A new week has arrived, perhaps a sign of better things to come.

Don't tell me you just bought that bs I wrote.

My Monday started off on a good note. I woke up eager to start my day. I was excited even. That was strange considering I only get excited after getting my dose of caffeine in the morning. Maybe, just maybe, the stars aligned perfectly straight that it set up how great my Monday would be.

Or should've been.

But when you're dealing with Monday blues, you've already lost half the battle no matter how happy you were when you first woke up this morning.

Walking into a room full of people who've made it no secret that Monday is THE crappiest day ever, that's uncomfortable, and not to mention how awkward it was too. Being the only person who has a smile on her face singled me out as the elephant in the room. People were shooting cockstare arrows at me - "Why is she happy?? Why isn't she part of our cranky gang? Our salaries aren't in yet, so what is she celebrating about?"

I tried to diffuse the situation by making some jokes. That only made me feel like the bomb squad crew who picked the red wire instead of the blue wire to cut. It appeared that everyone was perfectly happy to be feeling crappy. As time went on, their negative energy began to creep its way into my veins. And before I knew it, I too was feeling just as crappy.


Mondays. You can't win no matter what.

If you've enjoyed this post, please subscribe to my blog.

11 Your say:

A Common Singaporean said...

Just blame it on your boss for slogging you guys. Join the gang of unhappy colleagues and bitch about the slave driver, perhaps you'll feel better.

My staff always looked at me on Mondays like I burnt their house.
If you can't win over Mondays, find a scapegoat.

Twilight Man said...

I just had a heart attack today coz my boss told us that his mum died yesterday. And he is here on Monday coz there is an important meeting!!!!!!!! I was shocked for half a day. What a Monday!

JD Cole said...

i more shocked to read twilight's comment then reading perky's post~

sorry my dear....his situation is much more blue than yours ;)

Perky said...

A Common Singaporean:
Hehehe yeah... my usual scapegoat would definitely be my guitar. No, not smashing it. I meant playing it ;)


Ron Jerem Lee:
Hahaha! If I ever stumbled upon 300k on my table, it'll be everyday no-blue for me :)


Twilight & JD:
OMG! That news definitely made my day look so trivial. I agree with you, JD. Twilight's news is much more blue than mine.

Either Twilight's boss is a workaholic or he just deals with grief differently.

.:: Ant ::. said...

Hey, bosses have crappier Mondays k, especially with the "gawat ekonomi" to which makes them worry about $$ to pay salaries.

Some workaholics would even hold the wake at the office, if they could get away with it.

Sam said...

OMG, you are like me - come into work all happy and smiling, only to wonder why half the world is staring daggers back. :P

savante said...

:) You should see how angry we all look on Mondays as well. And Tuesdays. And Wednesdays :P

Anonymous said...

Know what, I'm not putting on crankiness on my Mondays, or else, I'll infect Tuesdays, and Wednesdays and everydays... Haha, so smile always and start the day right, even if it's a Monday.

MiChi said...

Every Sunday night, my mood would be dull coz knowing that I have to work on Mondays. I can't remember who sang the song "I Don't Like Mondays" which was banned in UK once?

Medie007 said...

i salute your workaholism. hahahhaa

Perky said...

Anton:
Yeah, you're right. Bosses have more things to worry. But I just wish they don't take it out on their staff though. hehehe ;)


Sam:
Hehehe... yeah. My friends say that I live under a rainbow :)


Savante:
Now that's a scary thought... hehee..


Sheng:
Yeah agreed. We should start the day right :)


Michi:
Hey I know that one... it's sang by The Boomtown Cats (or was it Rats?? I mix up names pretty often hehehe). It's got Bob Geldof in it. No, it wasn't banned. If I remember correctly, it was a huge hit in the UK.


Medie007:
Workaholism is a curse, I tell you. If I'm not working, it feels like the world has stopped spinning. lol! ;)