Sep 17, 2008

iLASIK, the New Technology

Scribbled by Perky |

Ever get tired of having to buy your monthly contact lenses, or getting replacements for your glasses (which, btw, is the 3rd time you’re doing it this year)? If you’re feeling bothered with the daily inconveniences of glasses and contact lenses, perhaps it’s time to consider an alternative: iLASIK procedure.

I can already hear the “Eews” and the “Oh no, no laser is going to be poked into my eyes!” Hehehehe… Of course I’m not going to randomly mention something without me conducting my research on the matter first. So here are some of the LASIK information I’ve gathered.

Modern LASIK, otherwise known as the iLASIK Procedure, is one of the most precise medical procedures performed today. Just like getting a tailor-made fine suit, the iLASIK procedure is tailor-made for you, your vision and the unique characteristics of your two eyes. 3D mapping, precise measurement and the use of 2 of the most advanced lasers differentiate the iLASIK procedure from all others.

After mapping the unique characteristics of the individual’s eyes using wave-front technology, the iLASIK procedure then uses 2 computer-guided lasers (instead of 1 as in earlier generations of LASIK). The first, ultra-fast laser creates a thin corneal flap which is then folded back to allow the second laser to correct your vision based on the exact measurement of your eye. So as you can see, the handheld microkeratome blade (which was used in older forms of LASIK) has been replaced by laser, which gives you outstanding safety as a result of reduced flap complications.

It is this very same LASIK technology advances used in the iLASIK procedure that convinced the U.S. military and NASA to encourage their mission-critical personnel to undergo iLASIK procedure, where 95% in 100 U.S. military personnel achieved 20/20 uncorrected vision or better. “The Department of Defense (DOD) and NASA have validated the fact that today’s LASIK exceeds all established standards of safety and effectiveness,” said Steven Schallhorn, M.D., a retired U.S. Navy captain and leader of clinical research and studies done for the DOD regarding the use of LASIK.

So if the guys flying F-16s or getting blasted out into space on shuttle rockets are convinced by this technology and benefiting from it, then we regular people (who btw considers driving at 90km/h daily as our most extreme lifestyle) might wanna look into this procedure too.

20 minutes of virtually painless and affordable procedure compared to a lifetime of buying, cleaning and caring for your contact lenses… hmm… which would you choose?



Post?slot_id=20112&url=http%3a%2f%2fsocialspark

If you've enjoyed this post, please subscribe to my blog.

5 Your say:

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

I think I'm going to need to laser my eyes cos I can't read fine prints anymore ... siggghhh ...

Legolas said...

I'm still scared of Lasik.

Twilight Man said...

I've been thinking of Lasik for years but chickened out. I end up rotating 10 pairs of glasses that match my underwears. Contact lenses is not suitable as I work 14 hours daily..... erm... Lasik? i might now bcos of you.

apples said...

Weeeell..... I've wore glasses since I were 8 and contacts since I were 14 - poking something in my eye is the least of my problems.

But the whole 'surgery on your eyes'-thing is kinda freaky. What if something goes wrong? Just 1 millimetre off the mark and I'm lost! I'm helpless without my eyes - however badly they work.

I don't doubt the whole "US military says it's ok"-thing, I knew a marine ones who had the Lasik done, and he had 10/20 (is that possible?) afterwards - better than normal. But still...

Besides, I have an excuse. My optrician... do you say that?... said my eyesight was so bad (bad genes from dad) that I should consider it. "Ok" I said "can I do it now?" "No, you have to wait until your eyesight stabilizes, and it doesn't seem to be doing that." This was years ago.

You're right though - the whole contact thing is getting rather old - imagine waking up in the morning and being able to see! But then you go;

The first, ultra-fast laser creates a thin corneal flap which is then folded back to allow...

Ewwww!

Perky said...

Twilight Zone:
If you do decide to go for Lasik, pls make sure that you go to a reputable surgeon. And if you really did go, do write about the experience. All the best! :D

Apples:
Lol! I didn't know that our eyesight can stabilize. I've always assumed that it degraded with age *sigh*