Aug 16, 2006

Attention Whore

Scribbled by Perky |

From my 2-hour dinner with my 'sistahs' last night, we all concluded that bloggers are, brace yourselves, Attention Whores. It's true. We type out our thoughts (be it private thoughts, dirty secrets, not-so-secret secrets, gossips, etc etc etc) for the entire world to read. God knows who reads these blogs. But I know my 'sistahs' sure do get a kick out of getting comments for the effort and time they devote on blogging. Come on, you're just as guilty. I know I am (There, I said it. I AM an attention whore. Now it's your turn, damnit!).

I'm not trying to say that bloggers suffer from the lack of attention. I mean, my 'sistahs' sure don't look like a bunch of those in need of friends. They have perfectly healthy social lives. I know I get all the attention I want from people I personally know (which is about 3, if I counted correctly.... plus Bryan. Gotta put 'Look For More New Friends' on my To-Do List). But what is it about blogging that drives us to be such Attention Whores? Who gets the most comments? Who's the most popular blogger? Who wrote the most talk-worthy blog? Seriously, who gives a fuck?! I know I don't. I don't really care if no one ever reads my stuff. It's crap most of the time (except this time, of course, 'cause you know, this is a (quote unquote) real conversation worth conversing about). Of course, I'm not saying that you should stop commenting on my blog altogether 'cause I'll be deprived of attention. Thus, defeating the purpose of me blogging. Can you smell my sense of sarcasm? Are you confused? I'm trying really hard not to confuse myself, too. Anyway... moving along now...

I'm thinking I should make my blog somewhat more interactive... you know, get you guys to also think and participate in this (quote unquote) hot topic. So, I've come up with a survey (approved by a dude who has a PhD in Attention-Whoring, of course... for you know, the authenticity of the survey).

1) The first thing you do when logged on the internet - check for comments on your blog.
2) You get excited when receiving comments.
3) You get so excited you practically wet yourself. Seriously.
4) You notify everyone and anyone about your blog - be it on Friendster, Multiply, MySpace, Post-It Notes for your housemates, etc etc.
5) You can't stop talking about your blog.
6) You even ask for tips on how to be a better writer.
7) Your objective of being a better writer is so that you can attract more people to "appreciate" your work via them commenting on your work of course.
8) You blog about anything - even stuff people can't give a fuck about. Who cares what the cockroaches had for lunch!?!
9) You comment on other people's blog in the hopes that they'll return the favor and comment on your blog too.
10) You don't really care about the contents of the comment. It's the number of people that comment that really counts.
11) You even welcome spam comments (example of such comments: Like your blog. Love the layout. You should check out my website - http://pantyhose.blogspot.com)
12) Your blogsite is loaded with ads as you need those ads to drive more traffic to your blog. Hint: Check the right-hand side of this particular blogsite you're reading. Hint Hint: The one that says Blog Explosion. Yeah that one...
13) You emulate the writing style of others who write better than you. (So what if you "support" plagiarism, right?) Fuck you plagiarists. Be original. Stop stealing my ideas.
14) Actually, you just copy-and-paste the whole article onto your blog and claim it as your own (untalented fuckers..)
15) You're proud of being called an Attention Whore. Hey, it's not that bad a thing.

If you have said "Yes" to more than 3 of the above, then you should sign up for the Whores of Attention Association (WAA). The first 5 people to sign up automatically gets to sit on the Board of Directors (positions will be decided by yours truly). So hurry while stock lasts! there are still places!!

If you've enjoyed this post, please subscribe to my blog.

16 Your say:

savante said...

Aren't we all attention whores? :)

paul

cain & abel said...

poooop! Mak sentap! Mak sentaaap!!

Anonymous said...

haiyor. i am a cam whore can? visit me at http://airswift.blogspot.com/
akekekekeke..

::hoshi::

alex said...

Nice to have your sense of sarcasm back! THis post made me smile thinking of you...

I'm all for the attention ho! Lol!

alex said...

hey i don't have a blog... does that make me an attention ho too???
Sign me up for the board of directors gal! =)

Himu said...

1. The first thing I do is to check my email
2. Yes, I read comments
3. no way.
4. I do not notify everyone. Actually very few of my real friends in real life no about my blog
5. I hardly talk of my blog
6. I do not care if there are errors.
7. I do not care if more people reads it or not. I have a few blog friends who reads my blog regularly. And that is enough. Too crowded is bad.
8. Yeep, whatever comes from my head or whatever I feel like I blog. I give a damn what others think.
9. nope. I comment.. when I feel like so. Most times I dont comment.
10. It is the content that matters
11. I make sure there is no spam comments
12. I have no such thing
13. umm no comments :)
14. no .. usually I will acknowledge
15. no .


How many yes is there?

Perky said...

Savante:
I second that! Or should I say you second that coz afterall I wrote about it first... hmm... Hahaha!

Cain & Abel:
Sentap!!!

Hoshi:
I make you WAA's publicist coz you like to link here link there. lol!

Alex:
Yeah you're such an attention ho ;) No blog but so busybody want to comment here comment there :P

Himu:
I've lost count of your "yes's" ;)

yerdeh said...

er,is this lisa who used to go to st3's in kuching? i just saw the link called zufar's blog and i know she's in kl...

Perky said...

Yerdeh:
Hey Davina!!! Lydd here... Lisa used to blog on blogspot... but she stopped coz she got too busy. Lisa & Zuf are in kl =)
I link to Zufar's blog coz he's blog is one of the few blogs worth reading ;)

bigfatwitch said...

you need a life. Like, seriously. But i guess you can't help it since i'm not around to make life interesting, eh? Yes, i deluded. Shut up.

bigfatwitch said...

and because i'm also one heck of a stickler for tiny unimportant details, i need to correct my 2nd last sentence in my previous comment. I meant to say, "Yes, i'm deluded."

Guess i'm just an attention whore too *smirk*

yerdeh said...

HEY LYDD!! hahha, ok now i will come and visit this blog more often! :)

Jay said...

Well if nothing else, lady, you've made me laugh.

sharon said...

isn't it about time you update your blog? :)

Las montaƱas said...

damnit! where's the number for blogger attention whores anonymous?

apples said...

We type out our thoughts (be it private thoughts, dirty secrets, not-so-secret secrets, gossips, etc etc etc) for the entire world to read.

I actually wish I did that. But the thing is.. people I know (read: guys) read my blog. If I wrote about them, I can't be perfectly honest cuz they'll be mad/annoyed/sad/freaked out by what I'm writing.

Plus (as of late) sometimes guys I'm seeing tend to overlap and if I start writing about a new one when I'm already kinda seeing another one... well, it doesn't go down too well.

And asking them not to read my blog (since I didn't even tell them about it) doesn't work.
Guys have feelings too. Who knew?